Pathways to Read & Write
At Gayton we use Pathways to Read and Write for our English work. This is a proven methodology built around units of work which allows for progressive vocabulary development, alongside reading and writing skills, through the mastery approach.
The Pathways to Write units, for use with pupils from EYFS to Y6, provide clear detailed lesson plans and resources, linked to high- quality texts to ensure engaging and purposeful English lessons. There are futher suggested high quality texts to supplement each unit in order for children to be fully emerged in the genre and styles of writing being taught. Grammar and punctuation is taught comprehensively throughout each unit allowing sequential opportunities for grammar to be consolidated. Effective teaching strategies to challenge greater depth writers are also included within each unit of work.
Below you can find an overview of skills that will be covered in each year group for reading, writing and spoken language. We have also included an overview of the texts used in Pathways to Write and Pathways to Read.
- Overview of objectives EYFS.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y1.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y2.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y3.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y4.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y5.pdf
- Overview of objectives Y6.pdf
Pathways to Read
Pathways to Read is a programme designed to equip pupils from Year 2 onwards with key skills to move them through the reading process towards becoming competent and fluent readers. To support this approach, clear detailed lesson plans and resources are linked to high-quality texts. Pathways to Read ensures engaging and purposeful reading lessons.
Key elements of Pathways to Read:
- Six detailed units of work for each year group from Year 2 to Year 6
- Progressive development of reading skills following a mastery approach
- Flexible combination of whole class and grouped reading sessions
- Inspiring and engaging texts
- Fully resourced sessions, including teacher PowerPoints for whole-class reading sessions
- Develops reading comprehension skills through the mastery approach
- Links creatively to the wider curriculum when combined with our Pathways to Write product
Pathways to Read follows a mastery approach to learning with three categories of skills developed each half term:
- Ongoing skills - linked to text choices and achieved through selection of teaching activities
- Core skills - prediction, vocabulary development and retrieval
- Mastery skills - 2-3 objectives are focused on for pupils to master over the course of the half-term
Each Pathways to Read unit consists of six whole class reading sessions following the four-part structure:
- Clarify vocabulary
- Read and retrieve
- Read and explain
The core elements of each session are prediction, developing pupils' vocabulary and retrieval. The 'Read and explain' part of the lesson is the mastery focus for the majority of sessions.
Grouped reading sessions follow each whole class session with a mastery focus, with a specific focus on the mastery learning and providing pupils with the opportunity for discussion in smaller groups with an adult.
Follow on activities are provided following each grouped session for pupils to complete independently.
You must consent to the use of advertising cookies to allow this YouTube video to show.